Man seriously injured when firework explodes in his hand

Ozaukee Press staff

A 41-year-old Town of Grafton man was seriously injured when a mortar-style firework exploded in his hand on Monday, July 4, according to the Ozaukee County Sheriff’s Office.

Shortly before 10 p.m., Mikhail Ageyev lit the firework in his yard on Lake Shore Road that then tipped over and was pointing toward his house and children. He was attempting to pick it up to move it when the firework exploded, Capt. Marshall Hermann said.

Ageyev suffered serious injuries to his right hand and abdomen, requiring a deputy to apply a tourniquet to his arm, Hermann said.

A Flight for Life helicopter was called, but it could not fly because of the weather, which was responsible for the cancellation of several municipal fireworks shows. Ageyev was taken by ambulance to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa. Authorities did not know his condition.

Hermann said Tuesday an investigation into the incident continues.

While devices such as sparklers shorter than 36 inches, smoke bombs, caps and confetti poppers are legal in Wisconsin, the possession and use of fireworks that include firecrackers, Roman candles, bottle rockets and mortars are illegal without a permit. Local ordinances can be more restrictive.

“A good rule of thumb regarding what types of fireworks are allowed in Wisconsin is, if it leaves the ground or explodes, it is illegal unless you have a permit,” Hermann said.


Click Here to Send a Letter to the Editor

Ozaukee Press

Wisconsin’s largest paid circulation community weekly newspaper. Serving Port Washington, Saukville, Grafton, Fredonia, Belgium, as well as Ozaukee County government. Locally owned and printed in Port Washington, Wisconsin.

125 E. Main St.
Port Washington, WI 53074
(262) 284-3494


User login