Developers on board with changes brought onby reworked construction agreement with DOT
Village of Saukville officials put another piece of the Highway 33 puzzle in place last week by approving amended cost-sharing agreements with two private developers.
The endorsements confirm the financial commitments made in January when the village and the state Department of Transportation modified the memorandum of understanding governing the reconstruction of Highway 33 between Saukville and Port Washington.
A key component of the agreement with the DOT is that the state will pay for 30% of all right-of-way acquisition costs from Northwoods Road to the northbound I-43 ramps, with the village picking up the remaining 70%.
That cost juggling meant the village needed to rewrite its cost-sharing agreement with the two development groups that are responsible for the commercial development around the Market Street intersection — Ansay Development Corporation and MRED Associates (formerly Redmond Development).
“There is nothing new in the agreement. We are simply refining the dollar amounts as they stand now,” Village Administrator Dawn Wagner told the village’s Finance Committee last week.
Wagner said Ansay had already signed the amended agreement and MRED officials were reviewing it.
“We don’t anticipate any problems,” Wagner said following the meeting.
According to the state memorandum on the road project, the local share for reconstructing Highway 33 from Market Street to Northwoods Road will be $150,000.
Of that amount, the village will pay $98,250, with Ansay covering $36,750 and MRED, $15,000.
The state agreement sets the local share for I-43 lane improvements at $65,000, and the local share for the construction of a roundabout at Market Street at $206,550.
Using the updated costs for those improvements, the village will be responsible for $84,000, Ansay for $133,000 and MRED for $54,000.
All other local costs linked to the highway reconstruction from I-43 to Northwoods Road will be divided similarly between the three parties, according to the new cost-sharing agreement.
The agreement says the developers must pay their shares within 30 days of receiving a bill from the village.
The revised memorandum with the DOT calls for utility work and the installation of temporary traffic lanes should be completed by late this year. Bids for road construction will be let next January, with work to begin in spring of 2011.
The complete project will cover Highway 33 from Tower Drive in Port Washington to just west of Foster Street in the village.
The $15.3 million reconstruction will involve replacing the two-lane highway with a four-lane, divided highway, including turn lanes, curb and gutter, sidewalks, bike lanes and new lighting.