Share this page on facebook
Knife-wielding man who threatened fishermen charged PDF Print E-mail
Daily News
Written by BILL SCHANEN IV   
Wednesday, 18 October 2017 18:01

Campbellsport resident chased men on breakwater, said he wanted cops to shoot him, complaint says

    A suicidal, knife-wielding man accused of chasing and threatening to kill two people on Port Washington’s lakefront last week now faces criminal charges in Ozaukee County Circuit Court.
    Douglas M. Schacht, 63, of Cambellsport, is charged with two felony counts of second-degree recklessly endangering safety and two misdemeanor counts of resisting arrest.
    A man told officers that on Tuesday, Oct. 10, he had been fishing on the breakwater and, at about 9:30 a.m., was walking to shore when he encountered Schacht, who was carrying what authorities described as a 12-inch butcher knife, the complaint states.
    The man said Schacht told him he could not leave the breakwater, and when the man said he was leaving anyway, Schacht told him, “No. If you do, I will kill you,” the complaint states.
    The man evaded Schacht by running around the wave-breaking wall and off the breakwater with Schacht chasing him.
    Another man, who was near NewPort Shores restaurant at the foot of the breakwater, said he saw the fisherman being chased by Schacht. Schacht then ran toward him and began slashing at him with the knife, according to the complaint.
    The man said he ran onto the breakwater and was heading toward the lighthouse when police officers arrived.
    Three officers cornered Schacht on the breakwater and ordered him to put the knife down. At one point Schacht dropped the knife, but then he picked it up again, prompting officers to warn him that they would shoot if he came toward them with the weapon, the complaint states.
    Eventually Schacht, who during the standoff said he wanted to jump in the lake and die, put the knife down and was arrested, according to the complaint. He refused to walk off the breakwater and had to be carried by officers.
    Schacht had apparently come to Port Washington to jump into the lake, then became upset when the first fisherman he encountered ruined his plan, Port Washington Police Chief Kevin Hingiss said. Schacht later said that he wanted police to shoot him and allow him to die, the complaint states.
    Officers found a note in his car stating his intentions and were told by his wife that he had mental health problems, Hingiss said.
    Schacht was taken to the Winnebago Mental Health Institute for a psychiatric evaluation, police said, and had yet to be transferred to the Ozaukee County jail as of earlier this week.
    Second-degree recklessly endangering safety is punishable by a maximum five years in prison and five years of extended supervision.   Daily Press