The Village of Belgium wants Main Street to look sharp.
The Village Board last month selected decorative lighting as part of its reconstruction project. The cost is $601,221.
Black light posts will be 24 feet tall and each will have a six-foot arm that overhangs the street.
Five choices for the lights provided by project engineer Gremmer and Associates of Fond du Lac ranged from $391,000 to $605,000.
At a special board meeting June 27, trustees narrowed the light choices to two — the $543,000 option and the one selected — before making the final decision two days later.
The more decorative poles light the sidewalks better while the others light the streets better, Village President Vickie Boehlein said. To her, the sidewalks are more important, she said.
Boehnlein compared the decorative lights to the ones in Cedar Grove, which she said offer good lighting and look better than the less expensive options.
Trustee Clem Gottsacker agreed.
“Let’s do Main Street right and be proud of it,” he said.
Gremmer asked the village to select the type of lights by the end of the month so it can determine spacing in moving forward with design plans for the road.
The reconstruction project is slated to cost about $6.9 million. The state is paying 80% and the village and county are evenly splitting the remaining 20%, meaning each would pay $690,000.
The cost estimate includes standard lighting and asphalt pavement, however the village would have to pay the difference for upgraded lights and concrete.
The village’s first payments on the project are due in 2018. Since repayment of some other village borrowing ends in 2017, the village will carry a slightly lower debt service, about .2%, in 2018, including the Main Street project.
Reconstruction calls for limited parking to accommodate the addition of a five-foot bike lane, required because the project is partly being paid for with federal funds.
Work is scheduled to be done in 2017 and 2018.