Share this page on facebook
Village approves Main Street work PDF Print E-mail
Written by MITCH MAERSCH   
Friday, 23 June 2017 18:24

First portion of burying power lines comes in under budget at $400,000 for reconstruction project

The Village Board on June 12 approved paying for the first phase of burying its power lines on Main Street.
Frontier Communications of Alabama is removing all above-ground power lines on Main Street and replacing them with buried lines from 200 feet west of Royal Avenue west to Beech Street.
The total cost came to $398,198, more than $40,000 below the original estimate of $440,000.
“By some miracle we have one that has come in below budget,” Village President Vickie Boehnlein said.
The board approved the payment, 6-0. Dale Pfeifer was absent.
The village decided to bury the power lines for safety and aesthetic reasons. The total estimated cost is $2.5 million.
Work on the lines has already started, with crews putting in borings and setting transformers, said Director of Public Works Dan Birenbaum.
A pre-construction meeting for area businesses is set for July 6 at Village Hall. Contractors will explain what will be happening during construction work, Birenbaum said.
The Village Board in April unanimously approved borrowing $4.3 million for its portion of the Main Street reconstruction project.
Overall borrowing costs are $125,000 less than estimated, mostly due to securing a lower interest rate than expected. The true rate is 3.2562% on the 20-year loan. The winning bidder was Bok Financial Securities Inc. of Milwaukee.
Designs call for limited parking on Main Street to accommodate a five-foot bike lane, required because the project is partly being paid for with federal funds.
From the west village limits to Elevator Lane, parking would be allowed on the north side of the street only. From Elevator Lane to Oak Street, parking would be allowed on both sides of the street. From Oak to Lar Ann streets, parking would be on the north side only. No parking would be allowed on  a one-block stretch from Lar Ann to Highway LL.
Also included is upgraded lighting, which is slated to cost around $600,000.
The project cost is $6.9 million. State and federal grants pay 80% of the cost with the county and village splitting the remaining 20%.
Cost of the project increased from an early estimate of $4.2 million to $6.9 million. Given the updated cost estimate, the state at first balked at its commitment to cover 80% of the project.
Phase 1 of the project to be done this year is slated to include work from Highway LL west to Beech Street. Phase 2 to be done next year is from Beech Street west to the village limits.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
You must be logged in to post a comment. Please register if you do not have an account yet.