Design committee picks Fond du Lac firm as choice for oversight
Ozaukee County officials laid out exactly how much the state, county and Village of Belgium will be on the hook for when construction on Main Street starts in a few years.
As expected, the entire project will cost $4.2 million, with 80% covered by a Surface Transportation Program-Rural grant. The county and village will split the remaining 20% or $482,013 each.
A four-person engineering design selection committee ranked Gremmer & Associates, a Fond du Lac engineering consulting firm, as its top choice to oversee design plans for the road.
The committee, comprised of
Ozaukee County Highway Commissioner Bob Dreblow, assistant Commissioner Jon Edgren, Village of Belgium President Rich Howells and Village of Belgium Director of Public Works Danny Birenbaum, made the selection last week after receiving statements of qualifications from 11 firms.
The firms were ranked based on completeness, project understanding, background, experience and reliability.
McMahon, RA Smith National and Kapur & Associates were the other top firms.
The county and village will send its rankings to DAAR Engineering, the state Department of Transportation’s consultant, to negotiate the scope and fees within the design contract.
If DAAR is unable to reach an agreement with Gremmer & Associates, it will work with McMahon and continue down the rankings.
The 1.4-mile project from the western village limits to Highway LL will likely begin in 2018, according to a state municipal agreement approved at last week’s county Public Works Committee meeting.
Village of Belgium officials are hoping construction can start in 2017.
The road was last improved in 1985.
Portions of the road will feature new sidewalks and stormwater mains and private laterals. Decorative lighting, permanent and temporary signs and minimal grading will also be included.
The storm sewer work and other “non-participating” construction costs will not be funded by the state, according to the contract. That is expected to cost about $150,000.
The county plans to resurface the street this summer to hold it over until it can be rebuilt.
Dreblow said the goal is for the construction to be completed in one construction season, or about six months.
Since the state is paying for the repairs and then billing the county and village, it will oversee engineering and construction for the project, Dreblow said.